*I am not addicted to shoes or cigarettes or chocolates.
*
I am addicted to toasted ham & cheese sandwiches. It doesn't really matter if it's ham or turkey or even chicken. Come to think of it, roast beef is fine too. The important part is the cheese…warm and stringy, melting my senses until I am all gooey inside. Yum!
*
Of course my mother has warned me on several occasions how bad melted cheese is for the human body (primarily the thighs in my experience), but do I listen? No, because every one is allowed at least one "bad for you" addiction, yes? At least that's what I tell myself… [Insert "goofy grin" here]
*
It might not be good for the body, but trust me, it is good for the soul to do something you're not supposed to do every now and then. It's just a little bit of healthy rebelling…the thing that makes you feel like you're a person making your own choices. It doesn't matter if your life feels like a lie or everything around you comes crumbling down around your ankles, at least you are in control of this one thing and it makes you feel alive.
*
Childish? Hell, yes! But who cares?
*
Some of you might be shaking your heads in disapproval right now, but come on. You know I'm not talking about the big addictions… the kind that derails and destroys. No, I'm talking about the harmless ones…the ones that Armande from the movie "Chocolat" talked about when she said, "Don't worry so much about supposed to's."
*
So…when you are supposed to be sweating through a fitness dvd or doing the laundry, sometimes it's okay to sit down with a toasted cheese sandwich, a mug of sweet tea and a romance novel you picked up for $2 the previous day and lose yourself in the pleasure of the moment. In fact, it's more than okay.
*
Have a beautiful day.
*
PS. the afghan you see in the picture was a gift, handmade by my friend Heather.
*
(C) MJ Calitz, 2010
No comments:
Post a Comment